The luxury Spier Hotel lies besides the calming waters of the Eerste River. The rooms are situated in village-style buildings grouped around six private courtyards, each with its own swimming pool in a design reminiscent of the Bo-Kaap or Mediterranean villages where pedestrians have right of way.
Rolling lawns, gardens and walkways connect the rooms with the reception area, lounge, bar, terrace and restaurant. The décor features a sophisticated, vibrant style with strong colors, patterns and textures that echo nature’s designs, and a collection of art that explores contemporary South African culture.
The hotel was one of the first in South Africa to be awarded the Fair Trade in Tourism SA accreditation in 2004. In 2007, Spier won a Condé Nast Traveler World Saver Award, receiving third place in the overall destination category, and an honorable mention in the HIV/AIDS category. The Spier Hotel has also recently won Gold at the Virgin Holidays Partners in Sustainability Award.
Standard Rooms - Standard rooms are spacious at 60 m² with large comfortable beds that invite guests to relax and enjoy the quiet country atmosphere. The rooms are beautifully but simply appointed, with quality as the key to the décor. Every room includes artworks from the Spier Collection, giving each a touch of individuality. The en-suite bathrooms incorporate a large bath and a separate shower. Each room has its own TV with satellite channels to choose from and a shaded outdoor patio where guests can unwind with a glass of wine.
The following facilities can be found in a standard room:
• Individually controlled air conditioners
• Ceiling fans
• Remote-controlled satellite TV
• Electronic door locks
• Hairdryer and shaver outlet 220/110 volts
• Executive writing desk
• Complementary tea and coffee station
• In-room safes
• Separate shower and bath
• Double vanity
• Special toy boxes available for children
Superior Rooms - Ten rooms selected for their prime positioning have been overhauled to include exquisite décor and fittings, and special services befitting their new look. Included in these are additional facilites such as a fully stocked mini bar for private entertaining, free access to Spier's new Wi-Fi service, daily delivery of newspapers, special turndown and iPod docking facilities, amongst other tempting benefits. Each of the rooms offers a view of the famous Eerste River and the picturesque Spier surrounds.
Suites - The four well-appointed and spacious suites of 110 m² face the Eerste River and the Helderberg mountains. The suites have been individually decorated by artists. The two ground floor suites open on to the gardens with an entertainment area, allowing guests the luxury of relaxing on huge wooden outdoor divans and appreciating the peace of the country setting. Apart from the above unique benefits the suites have all the features of both the standard and superior rooms.
Both the hotel's restaurant and wine bar strive to source the freshest available produce for the menus from a range of local suppliers.
Subject to seasonal variations and availability, this may include organic fruit and vegetables, hand-picked herbs from our own gardens, as well as free range eggs. All fish served is graded as the most sustainable choices by the South African Sustainable Seafood Initiative.
The Spier Hotel’s restaurant offers elegant a la carte dining. Open for breakfast daily from 06h30 to 10h30, and dinner from 17h00 till late. At the popular wine bar and terrace, guests can enjoy award-winning wines, and healthy light lunches and bar snacks.
If you only have a few hours to relax at the farm, be sure not to miss the following:
• Taste award-winning wines at the wine tasting courtyard. Buy the wine at cellar-door prices.
• Have brunch, lunch or tea at Eight, the acclaimed farm-to-table restaurant which combines mostly natural and organic ingredients from the farm into wholesome and delicious dishes.
• Visit the historic Manor House and Old Wine Cellar Gallery and view the work of some of South Africa’s most exciting contemporary artists.
• Wander through the gardens and unwind in the tranquility of nature.
If you can linger longer:
• Lie on the lawns next to the calming waters of the Eerste River and listen to the birds sing.
• Visit the cheetahs and birds of prey, or explore the farm on horseback.
• Take a stroll to the hotel down the avenue of 230 coral trees and enjoy sundowners at the Wine Bar.